Big Island Day Trip: Volcanoes National Park from Oahu
Duration: 15 hours
Location: Waikiki, Oahu
- Check price and availability
Tour departs from most centrally located Waikiki hotelsDeparture date Monday - Saturday Departure time Exact hotel pickup and check-in time will be advised upon reconfirmation. Customers must call 72 hours in advance to reconfirm exact departure time. Return details <p>Tour returns to original point of departure at approx. 8:40pm</p>
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Passengers must provide date of birth and passport information at the time of booking per TSA requirements
- Once reservation is made, tour is Non-Refundable and Non-Changeable.
- Airfare portion of this tour may fluctuate based on airline availability. Additional fees may be required to be paid by the customer in these cases.
- Passengers with asthma and other respiratory problems should please consider other tour offerings to avoid potential health problems resulting from exposure to fumes
- As we cannot predict volcanic activity, features may vary daily depending on conditions. In an effort to make this an unforgettable experience, the tour operators will take you as close as possible to the volcanic activity.
- Lava sightings not guaranteed
- When lava enters the ocean, the intense heat produces a plume cloud with dangerous and potentially life threatening toxic gases, super heated steam, and hydrochloric acid. Airborne particles are a hazard to your eyes and lungs. Watch for shifting winds that can blow acid mist clouds over you. Leave the area at once.
- Where lava enters the ocean the coastline is extended. This new surface is unstable and may collapse at any time without warning. Do not approach areas where lava is entering the ocean.
- Sharp lava cracks and holes, loose rock, and thin crust greatly increase your risk of getting hurt. Falling on lava can result in nasty wounds. Wear sturdy walking shoes. Use sunscreen, wear a hat, and drink plenty of fluids.
- If inland flows are present, and you use caution, you may have an opportunity to view fresh lava close up. Follow marked routes and your guides instructions. Molten lava is 2000 degrees F, so keep a safe distance and never go into areas where your escape route may be cut off. Do not throw objects into lava as this can cause burns from spattering lava or eye injuries from airborne volcanic glass fragments. BE AWARE, STAY ALERT, AND USE CAUTION AT ALL TIMES, DO NOT TAKE CHANCES.
- Live commentary on board
- Roundtrip flights
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (if option selected)
- Fuel surcharge
- Local taxes
- Food and drinks
- Gratuities (optional)
Please read the following cautionary comments before selecting this tour:
Please Note: The name you enter at the time of booking must be exactly as appears on your photo I.D. Interisland Air Carriers will deny boarding if the passenger name, as shown on valid government-issued I.D. does not match the name on their voucher. This is a Transportation Security Administration (TSA) and FAA requirement. Air Carriers proven to be non-compliant are subject to severe penalties; thus there is no flexibility with this policy.A valid government-issued ID (passport for non-US citizens) is required on the day of travel. If a passenger is denied boarding, there will be no refund.
Special Needs requests must be called in to the local supplier AT LEAST 1 week prior to tour date. All special needs requests are handled and accommodated on a situational basis.
ItineraryStart off in Hilo at Liliuokalani Gardens, named after Hawaii's last reigning monarch, Queen Liliuokalani. Follow your guide into the sprawling 30 acres (12 hectares) of a Japanese-style garden, dedicated in 1917 to the Japanese immigrants who worked on the island's sugar cane fields. Meander through rock gardens and over red bridges, noting the stone lanterns, a tea house and ponds along the way. Your guide takes you to ideal spots where you can admire views of Hilo Bay and Moku Ola (Coconut Island).
Your next stop takes you to Hilo Bay Beachfront Park, stretching nearly 3,000 feet (914 meters) along the coastline. As you walk the beach popular for picnics, surfing and canoeing, learn about the sand's formation from lava.
Next, drive through the coastal town of Hilo and the tree-lined street of Banyan Drive. As you pass classic old buildings and wooden storefronts, learn about the history of the Big Island's largest settlement.
Arrive at Wailuku River State Park and follow your guide into a tropical forest. Reach Rainbow Falls, an 80-foot-tall (24-meter) cascade over a lava cave. Hear about local legends and watch for rainbows misting over the waterfall.
Then, drive through the orchards of Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut Factory and disembark for a tour of the factory. Learn how these nuts are harvested and roasted, and discover dozens of ways to prepare and consume them. In the gift shop, pick up scrumptious samples and purchase boxes of the goodies to take home.
Travel into the mountains and stop at the greenhouse enclave of Akatsuka Orchid Gardens, boasting more than 1,000 exotic orchids and tropical plants. Take a look at an orchid valued at a whopping $20,000, due to its symmetry and singular characteristics.
Finally, enjoy ample time in the island's star attraction, Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. After seeing the exhibits of Jaggar Museum, marvel at the Kilauea Iki caldera, a massive collapsed crater.
Click away with your camera to capture volcanic steam vents and hike along the crater rim to watch for recent volcanic activity. Drive along the Chain of Craters Road to view other volcanic formations. The timing of your afternoon visit to the park allows you to witness the red glow of lava at the active Halemaumau crater at dusk. Please note that the time of dusk/sunset is seasonal and will vary.
You'll also walk through a fern tree jungle and reach Thurston Lava Tube, a 600-foot-long (183-meter) tube formed centuries ago by molten lava. Follow your guide into the spacious, illuminated tube.
After a full day of sightseeing, fly back to Oahu and enjoy drop-off at your Waikiki hotel (if option selected) at night.
Why choose Air Canada Vacations?
- aircanadavacations.com is
your one-stop vacation shop
- Discover 100s of destinations
full of new experiences
- 1000s of unforgettable
activities and excursions
- The safety & reliability
of Air Canada and Air Canada Rouge
- Connecting flights
from 64 Canadian cities
- Earn & Redeem Aeroplan® Miles